Frequently Asked Questions: Salon Insurance

Your most burning questions about our policies, answered.

Our Reviews

4.9 / 5 Based on 4241 Reviews
Read all reviews »

If You Don’t Ask, You Don’t Get

Having helped businesses like yours for over 30 years, we’ve been asked a fair share of questions from salon owners concerning the cover we offer. We’ve put together all of these questions into an FAQ, specifically geared at giving salon owners all the information they could possibly need.

If your question isn’t listed, please feel free to give us a call and one of our team would be more than happy to assist you with your enquiry.

What types of salons can you insure?

We can offer cover for almost all types of salon businesses including:

  • Hair salons
  • Beauty salons
  • Barbers
  • Tanning salons
  • Gyms
  • Toning Studios
  • Clinic
What is the difference between salon insurance and freelance insurance?

If you are self-employed, freelance or mobile insurance is designed to suit you and will just cover your public liability (plus you can choose to add some optional additional covers such as stock and equipment). However, a salon package would cover your entire salon including your liabilities, your staff, your stock and contents, your glass, your loss of profits, stock in transit etc. If you have a premises, you really should choose a complete salon package to ensure you are fully protected.

What covers are included under the Salon Gold package policy for salons?

Our Salon Gold policy is a complete package that has been designed for your industry. Cover can include the following:

  • Buildings
  • Contents
  • Computers
  • Stock
  • Fixtures & Fittings / Tenants Improvements
  • Breakage of Glass
  • Money & Assault
  • Stock and goods in transit
  • Business Interruption (Loss of Profits)
  • Public Liability
  • Professional Treatment Risk
  • Employers’ Liability
  • Personal Accident (for Hands)
  • Legal Expenses
  • Engineering Breakdown (selected insurers only)
  • Terrorism (selected insurers only)
What happens if I train in new treatments or therapies?

You will be covered for those treatments that you have told us about and that are shown on your schedule. If you train in new treatments or therapies, please contact us so that cover can be added to your policy.

Am I covered for teaching or training others in my chosen therapies?

This is not included as standard. However, providing you hold a UK recognised teaching qualification, the policy can be extended to include this.

Am I covered if I see clients at home or away from the salon?

Yes, providing you tell us and have this noted on your policy, we will be able to provide cover for you working away from the salon.

What should I do if I think I might need to claim?

You should notify us immediately, even if you only think you might need to make a claim. We are here to help and quick action could mitigate costs or even prevent a claim. Equally, if you have a routine query on which you would like our opinion, we are always happy to help.

What happens if I make a claim?

Salon Gold will help you through the claims process and work with you to get a settlement from the insurer. With our in-depth knowledge of the policy cover and our strong relationships with the insurer, we’re well placed to ensure that you and your business get back to normal as quickly as possible.

Do I need to pay any legal costs up front?

No. The insurers will appoint solicitors, where appropriate, to represent you and will pay them directly. You do not need to make any payments to solicitors.

Why should I arrange my insurance with Salon Gold?

The benefits of arranging your insurance with Salon Gold include:

  • We understand your business. Our Salon Gold policy has been designed for your industry.
  • Our rates are extremely competitive
  • Our policy covers are some of the widest around
  • We have been offering insurance to businesses like yours for almost 30 years
  • We have provided protection for more than 50,000 customers over the years
  • We do not use call centres and are on hand to assist you with any queries you may have
  • We will work with you to support you in the event of a claim
Which insurers do you use?

Our Salon Gold policies are underwritten by a panel of leading UK insurers. All panel insurers have a minimum of an A rating for financial strength and therefore have the ability to meet ongoing financial commitments.

Can I pay my premium in instalments?

Yes, at Salon Gold we understand that paying your insurance premium in manageable monthly instalments can really improve cashflow within your business. We offer a range of different instalment options dependent upon which insurer you choose.

How do I decide which insurer to choose?

When you contact us for a quotation, we will ask you a range of questions about your business and then offer you one or more Salon Gold quotes to meet your needs. We will explain the differences between the Salon Gold policies and you can decide which policy to choose. Although price is important, as the cover varies between insurers, you take all factors in to account before making your decision. Whilst we cannot advise which policy you should take, our helpful staff are on hand to give you all the information you need to make your decision.

Are you authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority?

Yes, Salon Gold is a product of Henry Seymour & Co (Barkdene Ltd) which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Can you help me with any other types of insurance?

Of course! Please contact us – our advisors are here to help you with all your insurance needs.

What is public liability insurance?

Public Liability insurance provides protection against your legal liability for injury to third parties or damage to their property arising out of the operation of your business. The standard limit under our policy is £3,000,000 any one claim and there is an option to increase this to £5,000,000.

What is Products Liability insurance?

Products Liability insurance provides protection against your legal liability, compensation costs and expenses following injury or damage by products that you have sold or supplied.

The standard limit under our policy is £3,000,000 in total for all claims in any one year and there is an option to increase this to £5,000,000.

What is Professional Treatment risk insurance?

Professional Treatment risk insurance is an extension to the Public Liability section of your policy and will provide cover for any injury to third parties or damage to their property arising out of any treatments you may undertake. The standard limit under our policy is £3,000,000 any one claim.

What is Employers’ Liability insurance?

Employers’ Liability insurance provides protection against your legal liabilities to pay compensation in respect of injury or illness suffered by your employees or trainees in the course of the business.

Do I need Employers’ Liability insurance?

Employers’ Liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ any staff. This includes those who employ trainees or voluntary workers. If you are a limited company and the only employee is also the sole Director, you do not need to purchase this insurance. You also do not legally need to purchase the insurance if you are a family run business and the only employees are close family members. All Salon Gold policies will automatically include this cover.

Do you provide cover if my salon window is broken?

Yes. Your Salon Gold policy will automatically provide cover for glass at an unlimited level. You will have access to a 24 hour glass helpline who will arrange for your window to be boarded and then the glass replaced, any time of the day or night.

What is business interruption cover?

Business interruption, also known as loss of profits, will cover you for your loss of profits in the event of a claim. So if there was a fire at the salon for example and the salon was closed for a month to be refurbished, the business interruption section of the policy will compensate you for any profit lost during the time that the salon was closed.

What is Personal Accident for Hands cover?

As a therapist, your hands are the most important tool you have! All Salon Gold policies automatically cover all partners and Directors for up to £10,000 if you were to lose a hand or digit. You can also add on cover for additional staff.

Why do you need my ERN number?

If you employ staff and pay them over the tax threshold, you will have been allocated an Employers Reference Number (ERN), also known as your PAYE reference. All insurers providing Employers’ Liability cover need to submit the ERN number to the Employers’ Liability Tracing Office (ELTO). ELTO has been set up so that insurers of companies can be traced in the event of a claim being made in the future.

Do you need to see my certificates?

You will only need to produce your certificates in the event of a claim. When you purchase your insurance you are declaring that you have a suitable qualification.

What qualifications are acceptable to you?

Click here to view our qualifications page.

Can you provide cover if I have a previous bankruptcy or IVA?

If you have ever been declared bankrupt or entered in to any form of bankruptcy proceedings, you will need to declare this to us and we will need to refer to insurers for you.

Can you provide cover if I have been trained abroad?

If you don’t have a UK recognised qualification you will need to send translated copies of your certificates to us for approval. However, in the majority of cases, we will require you to complete a UK recognised course in order to provide cover.

Our Reviews

4.9 / 5 Based on 4241 Reviews
Read all reviews »

Really good website easy to use and low prices would highly recommend using them

2 hours ago

Easy and quick - no call back or constant harrassment with calls

22 hours ago

Clear and easy to use. I found all the information I needed on the website and was taken through the application process simply and efficiently.

on Sep 15th
This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2020 Salon Gold | Salon Gold, Holistic Gold, Counselling Gold, Fitness Gold and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
Get a Quote