Insurance for Salons, Freelance & Mobile: Qualifications

We accept a wide range of qualifications, including NVQs, BTECs & more.

You Qualify: All You Need to Know About Acceptable Qualifications

Talking about qualifications when trying to buy insurance for your business can be a bit daunting, but it doesn’t have to be! Here at Salon Gold, we know that it can be tricky to know what qualifications you’ll need to be covered, so we’ve compiled all the information you’ll need to know in this handy guide.

We offer insurance for a wide variety of industries across salons and freelance and mobile businesses. Because we hold ourselves to the highest standards, we only insure those who hold a suitable qualification for the treatments they practise, however we offer an optional cover for students studying to obtain a qualification – for more information about this, please visit our Teacher Training Cover page or Student Cover page.

Understanding Suitable Qualifications

To further explain what we mean by a “suitable qualification”, this is any course or qualification relevant to a particular treatment or therapy you wish to practise that has been issued by a school, college or university. Your course or qualification will also have to be accredited by a suitable third-party UK professional body, such as:

  • BABTAC (The British Association of Beauty Therapy & Cosmetology)
  • HABIA (Hairdressing and Beauty Industry Authority)
  • ABT (Associated Beauty Therapists)
  • The Guild of Beauty Therapists
  • FHT (Federation of Holistic Therapists)
  • BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy)
  • The REP (Register for Exercise Professionals)

We regret that we are unable to accept correspondence courses or home study courses as suitable qualifications.

Some examples of qualifications we accept are:

We can also accept some individual day courses for specific treatments or therapies, providing they have been completed in a school, college or university and have been accredited by a UK professional body, such as those listed above. Please note, we’re only able to provide cover for hair extensions if you are a fully qualified hairdresser or beauty therapist and have attended a UK-accredited course for the hair extension method you’re using.

We regret that we are unable to accept correspondence courses or home study courses as suitable qualifications.

NVQs, SVQs, BTEC, VTCT, ITEC, HND, Foundation degree, Degree.

The Professions

Below, you’ll find a list of all the professions we can cover. You’ll find a list of the treatments covered on each policy on the relevant professional’s page:

Please be aware, you will be automatically covered for all treatments or therapies listed against your profession, providing you hold a UK-recognised and accredited qualification in any treatments or therapies undertaken. You’ll be able to select more than one profession on our quote form under the trade category.

We won’t ask to see copies of your qualifications before your policy begins, but you will be expected to produce any relevant certificates if you need to claim on your policy.

By completing our online quote form, you’re confirming that you have the relevant qualifications for any treatments or therapies you provide. We are unable to cover you if you do not hold the relevant qualifications necessary for your chosen treatments or therapies.

Qualifications for Teacher Training

For an additional premium, we’re able to also cover teaching training. For more information on this, please visit our Teacher Training cover page or Student Cover page.

You need to be logged in to Your Account to make a payment. Redirecting you to Account Login.
Get a Quote