What is Holistic Therapy & how do you become a Holistic Therapist?

By Darragh Timlin on April 27th, 2018

Holistic therapy differs from conventional therapies because rather than concentrating on the symptoms and trying to fix those, holistic therapy considers the person as a whole. It deals with general wellbeing rather than just trying to address one specific biological issue.

There are no specific requirements if you want to become a holistic therapist, although you will need to register your business and comply with health and safety legislation.

You should also protect your business from unexpected losses by getting some insurance. There are a number of different types of insurance that you need.

Registering your business

Depending on the area in which you operate, you may need to register your business with your local council. They may charge a fee for your registration and you may be required to display some documentation in your business premises.

You will also need to register your business with HMRC. If you are storing and processing personal information such as your clients’ or employees’ personal information, you also need to notify the Information Commissioner’s Office. There are rules to comply with if you are doing this.

If you are playing background music in your business premises, you will also need a PRS licence.

Insuring your business

There are a number of different types of insurance that a holistic therapist needs. You’ll need property insurance to protect your business assets. You’ll also need liability insurance to protect you against compensation claims and there are a few other types of insurance that you’ll need as well.

Property insurance

This type of insurance covers you if your business property is accidentally damaged or stolen.

You should make sure you insure for the full value of your business property because if you are underinsured in the event of a loss, you might not get paid the full value of your claim.

You should also make sure that if you work away from your business premises, your business property is insured when it’s off-site.

Liability insurance

Liability insurance protects you if a compensation claim is made against you. There are a number of different types.

Employer’s liability insurance covers compensation claims made against you by your employees. This is a legal requirement if you employ anyone.

Public liability insurance covers compensation claims made against you by other people. This is not a legal requirement, but as some compensation claims can cost over £250,000 to settle, you need to have it.

You should make sure that your public liability insurance contains a financial loss extension. Without this, only compensation claims involving injuries or property damage would be covered and you would be uninsured in the event of a claim for a purely economic loss being made against you.

Products liability insurance covers compensation claims that arise from defects in products that you have sold or supplied, rather than claims that arise from something you have done or failed to do. This type of insurance is usually included with public liability insurance.

Malpractice insurance

This is another type of liability insurance. It covers compensation claims arising from professional activities. These compensation claims are not normally covered by a standard public liability insurance policy.

Other types of insurance

As well as needing property insurance and liability insurance, there are a couple of other types of insurance that a holistic therapist should consider.

The first of these is personal accident and sickness insurance. This protects you if you are unable to work due to an injury or illness by replacing your income so you can concentrate on your recovery rather than worrying about paying your monthly bills.

It pays a weekly benefit during temporary incapacitation. If you will be unable to work permanently, a lump sum is payable instead.

The second is legal expenses insurance. This covers your legal costs if you find yourself involved in legal action.

Related Holistic & Complementary Therapist Insurance Articles

This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s). © Copyright 2024 Salon Gold | Salon Gold, Holistic Gold, Counselling Gold, Fitness Gold and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register. Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
You need to be logged in to Your Account to make a payment. Redirecting you to Account Login.