Can you do Mobile Microblading & what Insurance do you need?

Dean Laming ACIIBy Dean Laming on April 30th, 2018

Microblading only came to the UK in 2015 but is already becoming a popular way for people to achieve the perfect eyebrows. Because microblading involves the use of a hand tool, mobile microblading is an option.

If you want to start a mobile microblading business, you’ll need microblading insurance to protect you against unexpected losses. So what insurance do you need, and what does it cover?

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance is the most important type of insurance if you are planning to run a mobile microblading business. It covers you if a compensation claim is made against you by someone who alleges that something you have done or failed to do caused them to be injured or caused their property to be damaged. Your public liability insurer will also handle any claims on your behalf so you wouldn’t have to worry about dealing with solicitors.

This type of insurance is vital because compensation claims can be expensive to settle. A compensation award for a serious injury can easily reach £250,000 and by the time the legal fees and another other associated costs and expenses have been factored in, the eventual settlement amount can be much higher.

Products liability insurance

Public liability insurance usually comes with products liability insurance. This is similar, but rather than covering compensation claims arising out of something that you’ve done or failed to do, it covers compensation claims arising out of products that you’ve sold or supplied.

Financial loss cover

Public and products liability insurance only covers compensation claims that involve an injury or property damage. Compensation claims for purely economic losses are not covered, so it is important to make sure that your public and products liability insurance contains a financial loss cover extension.

Treatment risk cover

A standard public liability insurance policy will not cover compensation claims that arise as a result of professional activities. This means that many of the claims made against a microblading business would not be covered. You should make sure that your public liability insurance has a treatment risk extension so that you aren’t uninsured in the event of a claim.

Employer’s liability insurance

This is similar to public liability insurance, but it covers compensation claims made by your employees rather than by members of the public. Employers liability insurance is required by law if you employ anyone, even if you’re only employing them on a part-time or casual basis.

Property insurance

This covers your business property against accidental damage or losses due to theft. You might not think that you need this type of insurance because you don’t have much business property, but it can be surprising to find out just how much your property is worth, particularly when you include the value of the computer equipment you use to run your business.

If you’re operating on a mobile basis, you should check what cover applies when you take items away from your usual business premises. It may not be covered when it is in an unattended vehicle, for instance.

Other types of insurance

Liability insurance and property insurance are the main types of insurance that you’ll need, but there are a couple of other types of insurance to consider.

Personal accident and sickness insurance is important for self-employed people. It protects your income if you’re unable to work because you’re ill or have been injured. A weekly benefit is paid if you’re off work temporarily and a lump sum is paid if you won’t be able to return to work.

Legal expenses insurance can also be vital. This type of insurance protects you if you become involved in legal action. It pays your legal costs if you find yourself in this situation, and your legal expenses insurer will help you deal with the legal action meaning you’re more likely to get the right outcome.

Related Hair & Beauty Insurance Articles

This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s). © Copyright 2024 Salon Gold | Salon Gold, Holistic Gold, Counselling Gold, Fitness Gold and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register. Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
You need to be logged in to Your Account to make a payment. Redirecting you to Account Login.