Make-Up Insurance For Make-Up Artists: Explained

Dean Laming ACIIBy Dean Laming on June 20th, 2018

Make-up artists need make-up artist insurance to protect them against uninsured losses. There are a number of things that can go wrong and cost money to sort, and so there are a number of different types of insurance that a make-up artist will need.

The main one is public liability insurance. As a make-up artist, you should ensure that you have this type of insurance, and you should make sure your public liability insurance includes a treatment risk extension and a financial loss extension to address the gaps in cover that a standard public liability insurance policy could leave you with.

You may also need products liability insurance, employer’s liability insurance, property insurance, legal expenses insurance and personal accident insurance to make sure that you are fully protected.

Public liability insurance

This type of insurance covers you if a compensation claim is made against you by someone.

Compensation claims can be expensive to settle. A claim for a serious injury that results in someone being permanently disabled could cost in excess of £250,000. They can also involve complex legal arguments but your public liability insurer will deal with any compensation claims on your behalf so you wouldn’t need to worry about that.

Treatment risk cover

A standard public liability insurance policy does not cover compensation claims arising due to professional activities which would leave many make-up artists uninsured.  The treatment risk cover extension covers such claims, so you should make sure your public liability insurance includes this extension.

Financial loss cover

Another problem with standard public liability insurance is that it only covers compensation claims if they involve an injury or property damage. Claims for purely economic losses are normally excluded so you should make sure your public liability insurance has a financial loss extension to cover such claims.

Products liability insurance

This is similar to public liability insurance, but rather than covering compensation claims arising out of something you have done or failed to do, it covers claims arising out of defects in any products that you have sold or supplied.

Employer’s liability insurance

Again, this is similar to public liability insurance, but rather than covering compensation claims made by third parties, it covers claims made against you by your employees.

You’re legally required to have employer’s liability insurance if you employ anyone, even if you are only employing people on a part-time or casual basis. There are severe penalties if you fail to comply.

Property insurance

Property insurance protects your business property against losses due to accidental damage or theft.

Many people think they don’t need this as the value of their business property is negligible, but it can be surprising when you add up the values, particularly when you include the value of the computer equipment that you use in your business and the value of the stock that you’re holding.

Legal expenses insurance

This covers your legal costs if you become involved in legal action. Your legal expenses insurer will also help you deal with any legal issues.

A wide range of legal action is covered including:

  • Criminal charges
  • Disputes with neighbours and clients
  • Contractual disputes
  • Employment tribunals
  • Tax/VAT inspections

Personal accident insurance

When you’re self-employed, you can’t claim sick pay in the same way that you can if you’re an employee. This is a problem because if you’re unable to work because you’re ill or you’ve been injured, you’re unable to pay your monthly outgoings.

Personal accident insurance protects your income in this scenario. It pays a weekly benefit if you’re temporarily injured, or a lump sum if you won’t be able to return to work.

Related Hair & Beauty Insurance Articles

This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s). © Copyright 2024 Salon Gold | Salon Gold, Holistic Gold, Counselling Gold, Fitness Gold and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register. Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
You need to be logged in to Your Account to make a payment. Redirecting you to Account Login.