What Insurance is needed for to be a Self-Employed Hairdresser?

Dean Laming ACIIBy Dean Laming on May 4th, 2018

If you want to run a hairdressing business, you’ll need insurance to protect your business because like all businesses, you’ll face risks. You can minimise those risks, but you can’t eliminate them.

The main types of insurance that you’ll need are:

Property insurance

This covers your business property in case it’s accidentally damaged or stolen.

As a self-employed hairdresser, you might decide that you don’t need property insurance because you don’t have all that much in the way of business property, but it’s worth working out the total value because it can be surprising how quickly the value can mount up, particularly when you include the value of the computer equipment you use to run your business.

If you’re a mobile operator you should check whether there are any conditions that apply when your business property is taken away from your business premises.

Liability insurance

This type of insurance covers you if someone makes a compensation claim against you. There are a number of different types of liability insurance.

Employer’s liability insurance covers claims made by your employees. It is a legal requirement if you employ anyone.

Public liability insurance covers claims made by other people. It is not a legal requirement, but as some compensation claims can cost more than £250,000 to settle, it’s not something you should consider as optional.

You should ensure that your public liability insurance contains a financial loss extension and a treatment risk cover extension.

Products liability insurance covers claims that arise due to defects in any products that you have sold or supplied. Again, it’s not a legal requirement but due to the potential cost of a claim, it’s something that you need. It’s usually included with public liability insurance.

Personal accident & sickness insurance

This covers you if you’re unable to work because you’re ill or have been injured. A weekly benefit is payable if you’re off work on a temporary basis and a lump sum is payable if you won’t be able to return to work.

Legal expenses insurance

This covers your legal costs if you become involved in legal action. In addition, your legal expenses insurer will help you deal with the legal action to ensure a satisfactory outcome.

Related Hair & Beauty Insurance Articles

This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s). © Copyright 2024 Salon Gold | Salon Gold, Holistic Gold, Counselling Gold, Fitness Gold and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register. Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
You need to be logged in to Your Account to make a payment. Redirecting you to Account Login.