Men’s perming is becoming increasingly popular; guys are open to a service that will give them the texture they want and many salons have seen an upturn in requests from men looking to emulate the likes of Game of Thrones actor Kit Harington’s dishevelled curls.
Perming can give a range of finishes from a bit of texture and wave to a tighter, more defined curl, and Karine Jackson’s salon in Covent Garden is among those who’ve seen an influx of guys seeking a perm. Karine says, “the team were reluctant at first but now they all love perming, it’s really all about getting the training right. The money to be made on perming is amazing and it doesn’t compete with cut or colour so it’s adding revenue to the salon. We market ourselves now as perm experts and we’ve been really pleased at how many new clients are seeking us out specifically for this service.”
Hairflair educator Carolyn Walker has taught hundreds of hairdresser to perm the modern way, using Curlformers, which remove the need for end papers and winding. She talks us through her simple steps to perming men’s hair.
1. Cleanse hair with a clarifying shampoo
2. Starting at the front, apply the Curlformers in a random pattern, working through to the crown. (We used the 10cm Short Spiral Curlformer, available in packs of 10.)
3. It takes approximately 15 minutes to apply a full head of Curlformers like this. Work with zig zag sectioning to ensure soft root results for that ’not just done’ look.
4. Protect your client by using cotton wool or paper towelling to wrap around the Curlformers, then apply a perm lotion and work according to manufacturers’ instructions.
5. Do a test curl and check for a soft S bend. When developed rinse hair for approximately 10 minutes to remove all the perm lotion. Gently towel dry & remove any moisture.
6. Again wrap cotton wool or paper towel around the Curlformers & apply the neutraliser. Develop as per your manufacturers’ instructions.
7. Rinse and apply conditioner, then style, blow, and diffuse.
To book onto a perm course visit www.hairflairprofessional.com